Monday, June 1, 2009

Oh the pancake-ity joy of it all!



Since I could no longer partake of my beloved bread, I needed to find a suitable substitute that would give me the carbohydrate boost that I needed and have the mouth feel of bread. I had lost about 40 pounds after giving up gluten and did not want to lose any more weight, I also wanted to build back up some of the muscle mass I had lost. Most gluten free breads available on the market, leave a lot to be desired and it seems that whenever commercial bakeries leave something like fat or gluten out of baked goods, they like to add in more sweeteners! Go figure? I do not cook or bake with sweeteners of any kind so you will find that all of my recipes will be sugar/sweetener free. The recipe that I will now share with you is the result of quite a bit of experimentation--Thank you Judith and Dave, for all of your taste testing!--and fulfills my craving for bread-like goodness.

I call them Sunrise Blueberry Buttermilk Islands!

Mix together in a medium sized bowl:
1/2 cup Brown Rice flour
1/2 cup Millet flour
1/2 cup Buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp gluten free Baking powder (Hain is good)
1 1/2 cups frozen Wild Blueberries

Whisk together in a separate bowl:
1 3/4 cups Buttermilk
2 medium Eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. melted Butter
1 tsp vanilla

Heat your griddle till water dances around on the surface. Mix the wet contents into the dry and stir gently till mixed completely--do not beat or over mix! Let the batter sit for about five minutes before cooking, I use a 1/3 cup measure of pancake batter for each pancake. Cook the pancakes till they begin to bubble a bit in the center--about 4 minutes, then turn and cook on the second side for around another 4 minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on the hotness of your griddle. Makes about 12 pancake islands.
*You may add sugar as an option to the dry ingredients for a sweeter pancake, I think about 2 tbsp. should do it.

Enjoy and have yourself an ever so Beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. these pancakes are heavenly goodness! i travel to lucy's house regularly for them--mm, mm good!! xo

    ReplyDelete